There's this fantastic global event happening on Instagram this month celebrating variations of The Last Word cocktail. Just follow and tag @mmydrinks @WeHaveTheLastWord #WeHaveTheLastWord to get involved!
The Last Word is a gin-based prohibition-era cocktail. It consists of equal amounts of gin, green Chartreuse, maraschino liqueur and freshly pressed lime juice, which are combined in a shaker with ice.
For my variation I kept pretty close to the original recipe, just adding in some egg white and our new mint cocktail rimmer. I call this variation The Last Kiss.
Our latest cocktail rimmer, Havana, includes lime, mint, raw cane sugar, and of course - grapefruit zest to really bring out citrus and herbal notes in this cocktail.
- 1 oz gin
- 1 oz elderflower liqueur
- 1 oz green chartreuse
- 1 oz lime juice
- egg whites
- dehydrated lime (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp Havana cocktail rimmer
- Pour 1 tablespoon of Havana cocktail rimmer on a plate
- Moisten the rim of your glass with a lime wedge and evenly dip your glass into rimmer
- Add gin, elderflower liqueur, green chartreuse and freshly squeezed lime juice into a cocktail shaker. Add egg whites and shake vigorously for 20-30 seconds
- Add ice and shake for 10 more seconds
- Pour cocktail mixture into rimmed glass
- Add dehydrated lime wedge for garnish (optional)
Some other ways to play with this recipe would be to swap lime juice with lemon or grapefruit juice, and adding in chocolate bitters really switched up the flavour.
Well, what do you think? Try it out yourself and share your photos with us using #WeHaveTheLastWord on Instagram @WeHaveTheLastWord.