It's Tequila Tuesday! So let's cool off this summer with a pretty Tequila Sunset cocktail. Since it's a naturally sweet drink with lots of orange juice, it makes a great boozy brunch alternative if you're feeling tequila.
Believe it or not, the modern version of this cocktail was created in the 70s in Sausalito, California. The original was actually made with tequila, crème de cassis, lime juice and soda water.
We're following the modern version with tequila, orange juice and grenadine. It's a pretty fruity drink so we think our Heartbreaker sugar rimmer adds a sweet treat to the cocktail - infused with raw cane sugar and grapefruit zest.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of Heartbreaker cocktail rimmer onto a plate
- Moisten the rim of your glass with a lime wedge and evenly dip your glass into rimmer
- Add ice, tequila and orange juice into cocktail shaker and shake for 30 seconds
- Pour shaken mixture over crushed ice in rimmed glass
- Tip glass slightly and pour grenadine into side of the glass
- Garnish with an orange wedge and maraschino cherry
Quick tip: If you're a bit nervous about nailing the layered look, an easy trick is to put a funnel at one side of the glass, making the grenadine pour way easier and less stressful. As long as you're not pouring it straight from the top you'll be seeing this gorgeous sunset in your cocktail glass!
Cheers! Try it yourself with our Heartbreaker rimmer! Show us your creations on Instagram @saltypaloma.