Old fashioned cocktail recipe
Here's a fun twist to a classic cocktail. Celebrate Father's Day with a traditional Old Fashioned with a little extra fun - our Heartbreaker sugar cocktail rimmer.
Our grapefruit sugar rimmer isn't just for tequila. Grapefruit and sugar make an excellent companion to many brown drinks like whiskey, scotch and bourbon.
The trick to making the perfect Old Fashioned is to start by muddling sugar and bitters before adding in alcohol. There are many variations to this signature cocktail, but for tradition's sake here's a fool-proof recipe to create it.
- 2 oz whiskey
- 1 tsp of water
- 1 dash of aromatic bitters
- Heartbreaker cocktail rimmer
- maraschino cherry and grapefruit peel (for garnish)
- Pour 1 tablespoon of Heartbreaker cocktail rimmer onto a plate
- Moisten the rim of your glass with a lemon wedge and evenly dip your glass into rimmer
- Muddle a tablespoon of Heartbreaker cocktail rimmer, water and bitters for one minute
- Pour in whiskey and stir for another minute.
- Add ice and garnish with a maraschino cherry and grapefruit peel
Wanna mix it up? Try a different drink if you're not a whiskey fan, or change up the bitters. Of course you can substitute the sugar with a regular sugar cube or simple syrup (but why would you?). For this recipe we used Scrappy's Bitters and Filthy Black Cherry.
Let us know what you think! Share your photos with us using #putarimonit on Instagram @saltypaloma. Happy Father's Day! Cheers!